Why is oyster mushroom bitter and what to do

Why is oyster mushroom bitter and what to do


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Oyster mushrooms are very tasty and incredibly healthy representatives of mushrooms. Their pulp contains many substances necessary for the body, the amount of which does not decrease during heat treatment. Protein in the composition is almost the same as in meat and milk. In addition, they are suitable for dietary nutrition, as they are a low-calorie product. They are fried, boiled, stewed, added to salads, salted and pickled, and sometimes even eaten raw. Ready meals have an original taste and pleasant aroma. But sometimes housewives complain about the bitterness in oyster mushrooms, which appears after cooking.

Is it possible to eat oyster mushrooms if they taste bitter

Collecting oyster mushrooms, like other fruiting bodies, must be done with caution. In forest plantations, in addition to edible ones, inedible (false) species also grow. They have a rather bright color and an unpleasant smell, and the flesh is often bitter. It is categorically impossible to eat such mushrooms.

Attention! The bitterness present in inedible doubles will not disappear after prolonged processing, and the toxic substances contained in them can be hazardous to health.

False species are often bitter and can cause poisoning

Poisonous oyster mushrooms do not grow in Russia. But this does not mean that their preparation and use can be treated lightly. Failure to comply with technological processes during processing can lead not only to the fact that after heat treatment the mushrooms will taste bitter, but even provoke poisoning.

Oyster mushrooms, which are bitter after frying, are not recommended to be eaten. It is better to throw them out so as not to endanger yourself and your loved ones.

Why oyster mushrooms are bitter

Not only oyster mushrooms are bitter, but also many other mushrooms. This is often due to unfavorable growing conditions. The substrate in which oyster mushrooms grew may contain pesticides or be contaminated with microorganisms that emit harmful toxic substances. Mushrooms growing near highways, landfills or industrial sites can absorb chemical and radioactive substances like sponges. Sometimes old fruiting bodies or those that were poorly washed before cooking are bitter.

Self-grown fruit bodies are generally toxin-free and bitter

How to remove bitterness from oyster mushrooms

You can get rid of bitterness and cook a truly delicious mushroom dish, observing the rules of processing and preparation. You should not use mushrooms that are stored for a long time, they should be extremely fresh. First of all, they need to be sorted out, while deleting suspicious, damaged, spoiled and very old copies. Then they are cleaned of debris, mycelium and substrate residues, washed thoroughly and soaked for about 10-15 minutes.

It is recommended to use clean water for this (well, spring or filtered). First, it must be slightly salted. Boiling will also help remove bitterness (until boiling). Cut oyster mushrooms just before cooking.

Conclusion

Bitterness in oyster mushrooms after cooking appears for various reasons. To get rid of it, mushrooms should be carefully selected, processed and properly cooked. If you follow all the tips and recommendations, you can cook very tasty and healthy mushroom dishes.


Watch the video: Grow Guide: Golden Oysters